Quest Software, a global systems management and security software provider, has announced the availability of Toad Edge, a new commercial database toolset that makes it easy for development teams and database administrators (DBAs) to develop and manage next-generation open source database environments. With the first release supporting MySQL, Toad Edge saves time, minimizes the MySQL learning curve, and mitigates risks that can be associated with building applications on an open source database platform.
The Database Market is Moving to Open Source
“As our research shows, the adoption of open source DBMS is widespread across the enterprise, and in some cases, outpacing the growth of traditional, non-open source environments,” said Carl Olofson, Research Vice President, IDC.
“One limitation that many of these open source technologies have is the lack of a coherent toolset for development, management, and in some cases migration of their databases,” Olofson continued. “Organizations will need these tools to effectively and holistically develop and maintain their data systems, and ensure a seamless migration process. A smart move would be to choose a commercially -available toolset that delivers the necessary end-to-end solutions to help support their investment in these new platforms.”
– Simplicity: Reduces the time and effort required to develop, manage and maintain open source database environments with an easy-to-adopt approach to development and administration.
– Schema Compare Capability: Empowers users to identify and manage differences and initiate changes in real time with fully-customizable, dynamic schema compare.
– Advanced JSON Editing: Makes it simple to explore, edit and work with complex JSON data.
– File System Synchronization: Keeps all of your scripts up-to-date with a single click and ensures all of your changes are flagged and captured, regardless of the version control system you use.
– DevOps Process Integration: Ensures the database development process can keep up with its vital role in overall business operations through support of DevOps tools like the Jenkins Continuous Integration server, thus reducing the time between database and application development and deployment.
– OS flexibility: Supports both Windows and Mac OS.
“Over the last year, we’ve seen an increase in open source databases for new application development as well as extensions to legacy applications – both deemed mission-critical,” said Greg Davoll, executive director of product management and marketing at Quest. “With this new addition to the Toad solutions, we are addressing this need. Toad Edge delivers many of the outstanding productivity-boosting features that we’re known for – making it easier than ever for developers and DBAs to ramp-up and transition to MySQL.”